Volunteers are the root of The Giving Tree Consignment. You don’t need to be a Consignor to volunteer. AND REMEMBER, Volunteers get the first opportunity to shop at our VIP Volunteer Presale!
The following are descriptions of the different volunteer shifts:
1. Presale Set Up
- We need a few strong people to help set up racks, shelves and tables.
- Set up initial layout with baskets and hang signage.
- This IS NOT a good shift for pregnant mamas or anyone with back or health issues.
- This shift IS GREAT for the men in your life who want to volunteer to help you!
2. Presale Consignor Check-In/ Registration
This is a great job for pregnant mamas or grandparents.
- Check in consignors and volunteers, distribute presale passes, and give general instructions or guidance on how to proceed.
- Help consignors organize their items for inspection and inspect all items to ensure no rips, stains or holes. All clothing should also be buttons, snapped and zipped where applicable. and
- Return items that do not meet the quality standards.
- “Runners” will place accepted items in their appropriate sections for the sale.
- Organize items on the tables and racks.
- GREAT opportunity to preview all the great items coming in!
3. During the Sale
- Help maintain tables & clothing racks keeping them neat and organized. Pick up any items that may be dropped or knocked off hangers.
- Floor security to watch the sales floor for suspicious activity, redirect shoppers trying to go into the restrooms with merchandise and watch the entrance/exit to make sure no one leaves with unpaid merchandise.
4. Checkout During the Sale
- Make sure the tag matches the item.
- Provide item count to cashier along.
- Guide shoppers through the check-out line to the next available register.
- Experience on a cash register or adding machine helpful. Need to be able to count back change. Accuracy is a MUST!
5. Holding Area
- Take items from shoppers who want to hold items for the designated times. Provide shoppers a ticket and tape the item with the corresponding ticket.
- Monitor the holding area until ticket-holders come to retrieve them.
- Return items to the sales floor after maximum hold time has passed.
6. Sort and Break Down
- Sort unsold items by consignor number.
- Sort toys and non-clothing items.
- Help disassemble clothing racks and/or fold tables.
- Give consignors their sorted unsold items during pick up.
- Clean and tidy hall.