The number one priority of The Giving Tree is to ensure the safety of your children. We want you to feel confident that items at our sale are not only the highest quality possible, but that they are safe. As a result, we ask all consignors to ensure none of their items have been recalled and that they meet federal safety standards. It is the CONSIGNORS RESPONSIBILITY to do this prior to bringing items to the sale. The Giving Tree will inspect all items at drop off and will return any recalled or unsafe items to the consignor.
Please reference the following to ensure your items have not been recalled or have been deemed unsafe for children.
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission's (CPSC) Resellers and Resale Information Center provides direct links to research recalls for baby swings, bassinets, cribs, high chairs, playpens, and toys.
You can also utilize the CPSC searchable recall lists.
- Search by Product Type (toys, playpens, etc)
- Search by Company (Fisher Price, Step2, etc)
- Search by Product Description (Sesame Street Nursery Sets, etc)
- All consigned clothing at The Giving Tree sale must comply with the CPSC’s safety regulations. We cannot accept clothing that has been recalled or contains lead paint. The Giving Tree cannot accept tops that contain drawstrings longer than 3 inches at the neck or hood, or bottoms that contain drawstrings longer than 3 inches at the waist or hem.
NEW CRIB STANDARDS – Effective June 28th, 2011.
- The Giving Tree Consignment can only accept cribs manufactured on or after June 28, 2011. This is due to new regulations implemented by the CPSC. (Manufacture date can typically be found on the cribs mattress board.)
- Beginning on June 28, 2011, all cribs sold in the U.S. must meet the new federal requirements issued by the CPSC. After June 28, 2011, it is be illegal to manufacturer, sell, or provide any crib that does not meet the CPSC’s new standards.
- Cribs manufactured from July 23, 2010 to June 28, 2011 may be consigned if the seller provides a Certificate of Compliance (COC) from the crib manufacturer or retailer.
- The COC must state that the crib meets the following standards, 16 CFR 1219 or 16 CFR 1220. Visit the CPSC website to view the Certificate of Compliance requirements.
- Cribs manufactured prior to July 23, 2010 cannot be accepted under any circumstance.
- Convertible cribs that are unacceptable, due to recall or for not meeting safety standards, cannot be sold as toddler beds. You can visit the CPSCs website to see a complete list of recalled cribs. If you wish to sell a crib at The Giving Tree consignment sale you must print, review and sign our Crib Checklist and Waiver.The signed waiver must be brought with the crib at drop off for it to be accepted.
- Click to view the CPSC Q&A highlighting the new crib standards.
- All cribs will be carefully inspected and returned to the consignor if it does not meet federal standards.
- Consignors who wish to sell a car seat at The Giving Tree consignment sale must be sure the car seat has not been recalled and that it meets federal safety standards. We cannot accept any car seats older than 5 years.
- You can view a list of all car seat recalls by visiting The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Child Restraint Recall Campaign Listing or by calling 1-800-424-9393.
- Consignors selling car seats must review and sign the Car Seat Checklist & Waiver form and bring it with them at drop off. Car seats will not be accepted without the waiver.
- All car seats will be carefully inspected and returned to the consignor if it does not meet federal standards.
Baby walkers must meet safety standards as defined by the CPSC. One of the two following requirements MUST be met for a walker to be accepted:
1) It must be wider than a standard doorway (at least 36 inches wide)
2) It must have some feature like a gripping mechanism to stop the walker at the edge of a step. The gripping mechanism will have strips underneath or around the base to grip the floor and stop the walker.
Bath seats or rings must meet safety standards as defined by the CPSC. Bath seats cannot be accepted for The Giving Tree consignment sale if they don't meet the following requirements:
1) They MUST attach to the tub floor with suction cups and/or
2) Have been made before 2007 (see date code stamp on the bottom of the product.)
Please feel free to Contact Us with any questions.