CONDITION: All clothing must be freshly washed and ironed with no stains, missing snaps or buttons, broken or missing zippers and must be free of tears and holes. Items should be seasonally appropriate for the upcoming season. Toys and equipment should be washed, have all the pieces and check to ensure they have not been recalled. For more information about acceptable items, see the complete list below.
INSPECTION: During drop-off, The Giving Tree Consignment inspects every item, and returns an items that are unacceptable to you, to ensure the highest quality possible. It’s easy to miss a stain or a tear so please do not be offended if we do not accept something. Our goal is to be known for quality to give you the best chance of selling your items!
RECALLS: The safety of your children is our number one priority! YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for ensuring none of your items have been recalled. You must check all items you wish to consign for recalls at www.recalls.gov or www.cpsc.gov prior to drop off. Click to see our Safety page for guidance on how to look up your items.
Below is just a sample of items to sell. If you have a question regarding an item you wish to sell that isn’t listed, please feel free to Contact Us.
CLOTHING, SHOES AND ACCESSORIES
- CLOTHING: Infant and children’s clothing up to size 14. No junior sizes. (1, 3, 5, 7, etc.) Shirts, pants, skirts, dresses, raincoats, shoes, rain boots, sweaters, hats.
- SHOES: Children's shoes only. Boots, sneakers, sandals, slippers, all must be in excellent condition.
- CLOTHING ACCESSORIES & SPECIALTY ITEMS: Hats, hair bows, belts, ties, diaper covers, backpacks, child purses, Halloween costumes and dress-up outfits.
SPORTS & DANCE AND SPECIAL OCCASION
- SPORTS/DANCE CLOTHING & EQUIPMENT: Cleats, shorts, baseball gloves, bats, balls (football, baseball, soccer), lacrosse sticks, roller skates/blades, scooters, bicycles, skateboards, helmets, team clothing (Yankees, Red Sox, Colleges, etc), knee, shin and elbow guards, wrist protectors, leotards, tights, dance bags, life jackets, goggles, golf clubs.
- SPECIAL OCCASION: Special occasion clothing such as christening gowns, first communion, bridal dresses, costumes, jackets, gloves, tights, belts, socks
- SEASONAL-SPECIFIC ITEMS: Spring/Summer sales – Swim suits, flip flops, short sleeves, sandals. Fall/Winter sale: Snowsuits, snow boots, winter coats, winter hats and gloves
BABY & KID ACCESSORIES
- FEEDING: NEW bottles, bottle sterilizers, drying racks, sippy cups, dishes & utensils, burp cloths and bibs. (Used items cannot be accepted.) Nursing pillows and covers, breast pumps (no used accessories), sealed, unused formula (check expiration date)
- NURSERY NEEDS: NEW potty chairs, towels & washcloths, changing pads. (Used items will not be accepted.) Infant bath tubs & seats, diaper pails & refills, wipe warmers, blankets, diapers, diaper bags, slings & carriers, step stools.
- SAFETY ITEMS: Baby monitors (sound and video), safety gates, bed rails, night lights, cabinet locks and outlet covers.
- BEDDING & DECOR: Bedding sheets and mattress pads for bassinet, crib, twin, full & queen; receiving blankets, head supports and body wedges.
- NURSERY DÉCOR: Frames, mobiles, lamps, wall hangings, rugs, curtains, piggy banks, toy boxes, sleeping bags, etc. (Please make sure items are child-themed.)
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure your items have NOT been recalled. Visit the Consumer Protection Safety Commission's website and choose the appropriate item category. Click to see our Safety page for guidance on how to look up your items.
BABY EQUIPMENT & FURNITURE
- BABY EQUIPMENT: Strollers, joggers, bike trailers, pack-n-plays, baby swings, jumperoos, walkers, high-chairs, booster seats, bouncy seats, doorway jumpers, exersaucers, kid tables and chairs, bumbos, baby carriers (Bjorn or other slings), activity mats.
- FURNITURE: Cribs, toddler beds, bassinets, mattresses, changing tables, dressers, rocking chairs / gliders, youth beds, toy boxes, bookshelves, and any other children's furniture.
- CAR SEATS: Must be less than 5 years old (check the sticker on the bottom for the date) and have been checked for recall. Car Seats cannot have been in an accident. All travel systems must comply with these car seat guidelines. You must bring a signed Car Seat Waiver to drop off for a car seat to be accepted.
- CRIBS: To comply with recently implemented laws, all cribs must comply with the new federal safety standards. (See rules CFR 1219 and 16 CFR 1220 for more detail) Only cribs manufactured after July 23, 2010 comply with the new regulations and will be accepted at The Giving Tree Consignment sale. All cribs must be checked for recall and meet safety standards. Review the Crib Checklist to ensure your crib is compliant. You must print, sign and bring the waiver with you at drop off for the crib to be accepted.
IMPORTANT NOTES: Sellers are responsible for assembling all cribs, beds, pack-n-plays and playpens they bring during drop-offs. Please ensure none of your items have been recalled by visiting the Consumer Protection Safety Commission's website and choosing the appropriate item category. Click to see our Safety page for guidance on how to look up your items.
TOYS, BOOKS, VIDEOS, GAMES
- TOYS: Games (board, computer and video), dolls, rattles, pull toys, trucks, action figures, Duplo and wooden blocks, cars (pushed or motorized), train sets, electronic learning toys, action figures, Legos, American Girl, Bionicles, Hot Wheels, Playschool, Little People, etc.
- BOOKS: All books must be in good condition. Infant, board books, cloth books, picture books, chapter, home school curriculum and educational books. Also accepted are parenting and pregnancy books.
- VIDEOS & MUSIC: DVDs, CDs. Music and videos must be child appropriate. Please no NC17 or R-rated materials.
- GAMES: Board games, electronic and educational games such as V-Tech, V-Smile, LeapPad, Leapster, PC, etc.
- ELECTRONIC GAMES: Video gaming systems & games (Playstation, Nintendo, Xbox, Wii, Gameboys, Leapster), iPods, mp3 players.
- LARGE INDOOR TOYS: Rocking horses, art tables/easels, play tool benches & kitchens, doll houses, hockey, ping pong, pool, & train tables.
- OUTDOOR TOYS & EQUIPMENT: Yard toys, play houses, slides, & sandboxes, wagons, tricycles, bikes, scooters, and skateboards, Power Wheels, jungle gyms, kids' picnic tables, swing sets, tree swings.
IMPORTANT NOTES: Toys must work and have all pieces. Please include batteries (Dollar Tree has batteries). Please be sure that your items have NOT been recalled by visiting the Consumer Protection Safety Commission's website and choosing the item category. Click to see our Safety page for guidance on how to look up your items.
Maternity items must be in excellent condition. We will accept all seasons for maternity.
- Clothing should not be older than four years.
- Out of date items do not sell so they will not be accepted for consignment. Gap, Motherhood Maternity, Mimi Maternity and Old Navy are some popular maternity brands.
- Please secure the tops with safety pins if they have a tendency to fall off the hanger.
- Maternity/nursing bras must be new and in package.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Adult clothing that is not specifically maternity will not be accepted.
We DO NOT Accept...
- ITEMS RECALLED BY THE CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for ensuring your items for consignment meet required safety standards. Click to see our Safety page for guidance on how to look up your items.
- Items in poor condition or with excessive wear and tear.
CLOTHING & SHOES
- Used underwear
- Juniors clothing sizes (0, 1, 2, etc.)
- Adult Clothing - misses or men's clothing
- Clothing not seasonally appropriate
- Clothing that is stained, soiled, faded, pilled, torn, has holes, missing or mismatched buttons or snaps, broken zippers or clothing with unpleasant odors, animal hair or other debris.
- Clothing that is older than 5 years or out of date styles. Our Shoppers are looking for brand name items in current style and trend.
- Hooded clothing with drawstrings.
BABY & KID ACCESSORIES
- Used pacifiers, bottles, cups, spoons or other feeding accessories
- Used hair accessories (headbands, barrettes, etc.)
- Opened personal care products such as baby powder, soaps, lotions, etc.
- Jewelry – due to lead recalls
- Used teething toys
BABY EQUIPMENT & FURNITURE
- Crib mattresses (it is illegal to sell used mattresses in Massachusetts)
- Bedding that is not for children
- Perishable Items
- Used breast pump accessories
- Bath seats manufactured before 2007 (check label on item for date)
- Accordion style baby gates
- Used potty chairs, potty seats
TOYS, BOOKS, VIDEOS & GAMES
- DVDs or Videos with NC17, R-ratings, or home-recorded movies
- Videos without covers or that don’t match the item inside
- Stuffed animals or Beenie Babies
- Toys from fast food restaurants
- Bags of loose toys unless theme oriented (bags of all army toys, all Barbie toys, etc.)
- Monogrammed items (First names are ok)
- Pool toys
- Electronic toys without batteries
- Toys or games with missing pieces